Saturday, August 7, 2010

Summer Road Trip - Day 4

Hanging Rock State Park
Stokes County, NC


After a lazy morning hanging out on Grandpa's deck...

D4 Gpa and Lily

sam fauxhawk

...we headed out with the cousins to Hanging Rock State Park. We hiked to Window Falls and Hidden Falls--two little waterfalls not far from the Visitor's Center.

D4 waterfall

I don't have many pictures, because frankly, I was a bit nervous watching my children scale wet, slippery rocks that hovered over more wet, slippery rocks. At one point, I was quite sure I would watch Joey tumble 30 or 40 feet to the rocks below. Thank goodness his extremely agile cousin Bret was there to help him get out of a jam! Taking pictures was the last thing on my mind! But I did get a few at the "safer" waterfall.

D4 hiking

D4 Sam hikes

By the way, North Carolina is incredibly beautiful even in the heat of August. We have always visited in the spring when the azaleas and rhododendrons are in full and amazing bloom. The crepe myrtles were in full bloom everywhere this time --making it look like spring all over again!

crepe myrtle

No comments: