Friday, January 8, 2010

Do our eyes go to heaven?

Sam in snow

Sam is obsessed with heaven. He asks me regularly--usually on the way to pick up Joey from school in the afternoon--what happens when we die. His questions challenge me. I try to answer as truthfully as I can, but the truth is, usually, I really don't know how to answer.

He wants to know:

Who's in heaven...

What does it look like in heaven...

Can we take our stuff with us...

What does God look like anyway?

But the one common theme to all of his questions about heaven is whether or not we can see when we go to heaven. I usually try to answer in the way that my Christian upbringing would instruct "we leave our body here on earth. We don't need it in heaven." I try to ignore the whole issue about whether or not we can see in heaven.

But yesterday, I finally caved and answered exactly as he wanted me to. I told him yes, we can see in heaven. Our eyes go with us when we die and we can see everyone and everything there.

He was so relieved and walked away with a huge smile on his face. I was happy that this frequent conversation ended so that frankly, I could go back to reading People Magazine.

3 comments:

Shonah said...

Ewan went through a phase like that too, and I too sometimes just told him what I knew he wanted to hear. Because you know how it is- they will ask until they hear what they want to hear:)

Exploration with Gatos said...

I hear news of you from Michelle Scheidt and got your blog info from Lynne Cunningham. Just got to see the photos of your beautiful three children. Questions of heaven--it is NO small job being a mom/ But you obviously truly love it. The new year makes me want to reconnect so I just want to wish you the best in 2010 and perhaps our paths will cross, but in the meantime, the blog is a great for sharing what's going on.

Denise said...

So I was telling Jen earlier today about this beautiful conversation that I had with Kara today. We talked about how even though Uncle Steve isn't here on earth with us now, he is up in heaven and will always be her Godfather, and will always be able to watch over her like a special guardian angel. She was so pleased with that, and I was quite pleased with my response to her questions. Until naptime, when she lay in her bed staring at her ceiling and saying, "what about now? can he see me RIGHT NOW?"
I may have answered her question about heaven, but caused some paranoia at the same time : )