Friday, October 17, 2008

I WISH I could be THAT mom

Photo by Peter Arndt on www.mountainproject.com


I try not to worry...but I do. I try to pretend that it doesn't bother me to watch my 8 year old son run across our busy urban street to fetch his ball, but it does. I try to refrain from crying when I see my 5 year old son fall down, hold his breath and turn blue, but I can't.

So this past weekend, when we visited Devils Lake State Park in Wisconsin, I tried to pretend that I was THAT mom...the one that encourages her kids to run ahead and tackle any challenge they find, no matter how dangerous. You see, Devils Lake is a midwestern rock climber's playground. The park is filled with cliffs and boulder fields. The boulders look as if they have just tumbled out of a truck minutes before rather than millions of years ago.
For two little boys from the Midwest, THIS is mountain climbing, THIS is heaven.


For ME, this family outing was 3 LONG hours of toturous worry and nausea.

Somewhere at the top of this boulder field is Joey. The guy in the navy blue shirt was a REAL rock climber--he used rock climbers' vocabulary--words that I have never heard before.


For Joey, sheer bliss. This photo was taken when he reached "the summit" with the zoom on my autofocus camera maxed out. I would not have been able to see his excitement with my bare eyes.




Sammy was okay going up, but needed a bit of help coming back down. The look on his face gets progressively more fearful. The first two photos are going up, the last photo, coming down.

This is more my style--all three of my little ones within arms reach!

4 comments:

Laura said...

No, you may never be that Mom, but that is probably for the best. If it is any consolation, Joey scared the bejeezuz out of me a few times in Door County (leaning over the railing at the top of the tower, scampering to the edge at the lookout...)

Lori said...

Haha, I hear ya!! :)
The last photo is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Christy said...

That makes me laugh. I tend to be pretty relaxed but there are things my boys do that scare the heck out of me as well. I think it is just being a mom to varrying degrees-- too funny!!

I love the pictures- they are great!!

Christy :)

Rachel said...

I love the picture of your 3 kids.

Our families are so similar - two boys (mine are 5.5 and 7) and a Lily who just turned two! And both with the double cowlick! How funny.

I too struggle with the being overprotective vs. letting them try things. I do tend to be pretty laid back, though, b/c my boys are somewhat cautious.

I look forward to getting to "know" you!

Rachel